Those icky patches near the skin fold on our body can really mess up our vibe. But you can do something about it. And by that, we don’t mean rubbing tomatoes and potatoes and lemons on your skin. We mean, a real solution. So let’s dig in!
1.Why is it that the skin near the inner thighs and underarms is darker?
The skin near the inner thighs and underarms is thinner and more sensitive. The skin near the folds in our body tends to be darker. This can be triggered by multiples factors like:
- Hormonal imbalance
- Certain medications like oral contraceptives
- Friction due to tight skin
- Chafing while walking
- Medical conditions like Acanthosis Nigrasis
- Dry skin
- Sun exposure
Melanin, the brown pigment, is also called a natural sunscreen for the body and when there is inflammation or irritation of the skin, our body tries to protect us by pigmenting that area of our skin. But let’s say if the sun's rays are too strong then our body cannot fight that damage and will end up red, swollen but with some structural damage. In case you’re exposing any folds of your skin then you must apply sunscreen every couple of hours to prevent damage. We understand that folded skin tends to be greasy and sweaty quickly and hence we love how Sunny side up glides on our skin minus the greasy effect!
2.How to brighten the underarms and inner thighs?
In India, our mother and grandma tend to give us DIY solutions like applying milk or using besan, tomato, lemon, etc. But some of these items can make our skin more sensitive to damage. That’s where science comes in! Here are some key attributes that you should look for when you’re facing darker patches:
- Soothing: With frequent frictions at the skin folds, it is obvious that there’d be a bit of inflammation which can trigger the release of melanin. So apply Aloe gel or Centella Asiatica under your arms to keep bacteria and inflammation at bay.
- Moisturising: Moisturising helps maintain the skin barrier and maintain the skin cell structure. So pick a good ceramide-based moisturiser that can work as an overnight treatment for your skin folds.
- Gently exfoliating: Mild exfoliants like Lactic acid can work well near the skin folds but make sure that it doesn’t touch your groin area. For places like underarms, folds near your elbow, knee and ankle joint can be exfoliated with a gentle spray like Light it up.
- Antioxidants: Active ingredients like Vitamin C, Berry extracts, Niacinamide, etc are a good layer of antioxidants in such areas. Apply a few drops every day to keep that skin protected and brighten the damaged area. Restrict to milder concentrations only.
- Picking non-irritating clothes: Often cheap polyester tends to cause more friction, especially in the heat, and land us with scratchy underarms and red inner thighs. Rather pick something airy and lightweight. We like eco-friendly Tencel, recycled cotton pieces and even linens.
Consistency pays so don’t lose patience and continue skincare for at least 4-5 months.